Commission and maintain backflow prevention devices
Course / qualification / unit code and title
CPCPWT4022A Commission and maintain backflow prevention devices
This course provides learners with the skills and knowledge required to test, commission and maintain backflow prevention devices in water services. It covers the identification of requirements, preparation of work, commissioning and maintenance activities and finalisation of work including documentation.
The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) will be in attendance on the final day of training to conduct the external examination (4 hours) for those learners who wish to receive endorsement on their plumbing licence in backflow prevention as a specialised class of plumbing.
Learners must hold water supply registration and/or license.
There are no prerequisite training units for this unit of competency.
However it is recommended that learners are able to demonstrate language, literacy and numeracy skills equivalent to Level 3 and Level 4 of the Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF).
All new entrants to this unit will be required to undergo a pre assessment of their language, literacy and numeracy designed to identify their level of ability against the ACSF.
Course delivery is face to face classroom training.
- three (3) consecutive days including a four (4) hour external practical assessment supervised by the VBA.
24 hours over three (3) consecutive days.
On successful completion of this course learners will be able to:
- Identify sources and gather information relevant to testing, commissioning and maintenance of backflow prevention devices.
- Apply safety and quality assurance requirements and demonstrate effective work methods relevant to testing, commissioning and maintenance of backflow prevention devices.
- Test, commission and undertake maintenance of high, medium and low hazard backflow prevention devices in water services.
- Identify and complete all relevant documentation relevant to testing, commissioning and maintenance of backflow prevention devices.
Learners successfully completing this course will receive a Nationally Recognised Statement of Attainment.
Unit assessment requires learners to:
- complete a theory assessment
- complete a practical assessment which requires the learner to successfully test, commission and complete relevant testing documentation for the following valves;
- two different double check valves
- a single (testable) check valve
- two different registered air gaps (including two different orifice sizes and inlet pressures)
- two different types of pressure type vacuum breakers
- two different reduced pressure zone devices
The VBA will conduct a four (4) hour external assessment for those leaners who wish to receive endorsement on their plumbing licence in backflow prevention.
Refer to PICAC training calendar for current course fees.
Additional fees apply to the application for backflow endorsement. These will be invoiced separately by the VBA.